Pages

Friday, May 13, 2011

Calling all POSTCARDS!

Unfortunately I have no funny anecdotes to share this week.  Instead, I have a kole si’i [little request!]!  Recently, I received a few postcards and a book of American landscape pictures from a very generous blog reader.  I assumed the kids would enjoy taking a peak at some pictures of the good ‘ol U.S.A., but it seems that I underestimated their curiosity.  The kids were literally thrilled to look at few post cards and then gaze at the world map pointing out familiar places.  When I asked them to point out the United States, more than a few pointed to China.  I think a Geography/English lesson is in our near future. ;)

Despite the kids’ limited exposure to maps/geography/travel, they are SO very interested in learning about the world outside of Tonga.  The 10 minutes we spent gazing at pictures and postcards and searching for countries on our world map is the most excited and engaged I’ve seen my students.  I can’t imagine why verb conjugation doesn’t similarly excite them?!  But, in all seriousness, it was inspiring for me to see their interest so piqued.  [Hence, my request to you today…] 

For kids who are accustomed to school lessons consisting of copying notes from the chalkboard, a picture is really worth a million words!  So, wherever you might be in this big, beautiful world….please, send us a postcard!  

Nora Graves, PCV
Peace Corps
PO Box 136
Vava'u
Kingdom of Tonga
         South Pacific        

1 comment:

  1. Hi Nora! I'm a PCV in Azerbaijan, and I'm doing a postcard project for my kids too. Wanna do an exchange? Send me an e-mail at bailey.morton@gmail.com and let me know!

    ReplyDelete